Is your regular morning cup of coffee getting a little boring these days?
We’re passionate about elevating your coffee and we spend a great deal of time tinkering with our roasts, our brewing methods, our beans and sometimes our coffee additives. Lately we’ve been experimenting heavily with spiced coffee and we have some amazing results to share with you.
Perhaps the most well known spiced coffee is Moroccan coffee. If you’re not familiar with it, it’s a must try. Moroccans have been adding spices to their brew for a very long time and why not? It’s so tasty!
Grind up some coffee and heat up some milk to taste. Add Ginger, Nutmeg, Cinnamon and Cardamom in equal parts to your grounds (try just 1/4 of a teaspoon for about 4 cups) of brew. Add black pepper and cloves as well – try using a little less than 1/4 of a teaspoon but don’t be afraid to change the ratios and play with it. Spices like cardamom add a little brightness and freshness, cloves and nutmeg make things a little earthier. Brew your coffee/spice blend like you normally would and enjoy. Change the spice ratios to your taste. Add your milk and, if you like, a little sugar and voila!
We have found the following spices to be good additives to add to coffee: Cinnamon, Anise, Vanilla, Cardamom, Black Pepper, Nutmeg, Allspice, Ginger, Orange Peel (or extract), Salt, Lavender and Cloves.
We suggest that you try your own combinations or start with the following, which we quite liked:
1) Ginger, orange peel or extract and Cardamom to add freshness and brightness to your cup.
2) Anise and Orange peel (or extract) – so good as long as you like Anise, which can be a little divisive.
3) Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Allspice and Vanilla – it’s vanilla Chai goodness in your coffee.
4) Lavender and Cardamom – a very bright and floral combination.
5) Cinnamon, Cloves and Black Pepper – this adds a dark, earthy dimension that some enjoy but may not be for everyone – don’t add too much.
Have you tried any other spices or additives that you enjoyed? Please leave us a comment and give us some feedback here or on our Instagram page!